Saturday, July 10, 2021

Phone Holder Project

Problem: phone holder won't expand to hold 6.125" length phone.

Challenge: design a solution which is reversible (avoid drilling holes, cutting etc); don't remove existing capability (example, extending the top bracket - my first thought - may solve the initial problem but remove the ability to hold a smaller phone or horizontally positioned phone).

My second idea was something like this. Even though the screw could have been replaced with a tie-wrap (zip-tie) I felt it needed a more rigid piece of metal than I had handy or could mock-up quickly.

My third idea was to suspend this piece from the existing lower supports. It is cut from some scrap sheet metal. The plastic edging prevents scuffing the existing supports. I hope the following pictures are self-explanatory. 





Submitted for evaluation, I need to know if this works. 
Two possible complications come to mind: phone angle may now be somehow unsatisfactory; position in vehicle with phone lower may inhibit connection of power/data connector.

If I'd had a larger piece of scrap on hand I might have extended it so it could have been tied in place to hold it more rigid when phone is removed. Prototype could easily be added to in this way.



No comments:

Post a Comment