Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Summer '20 Part II

 More Summer 2020 (some of which I posted on FB). Newer stuff at the top.



Good luck continued, saw this one before he/she saw me.  Scott Judd suggests immature Red-shouldered hawk, which I think fits with the size.

August 22. My lucky day, video started moments before this chrysalis popped. Film at 11, or maybe in a couple of days.


August 21. Eastern Wood Pewee, a flycatcher in action. 

If you don't have time for videos, here's a brief animation. The way he/she tracks reminds me of laser-guided robotics or something!

August 21. New Monarch fixing proboscis.

August 19. The second of my two EBS (Eastern Black Swallowtail) cats pupated. I was in the room with my back turned when this happened. I wanted to video the event but didn't know it was impending so soon. Sure glad I had the camera on time-lapse (one shot per minute). This animation represents about 13 minutes. Blows my mind how that silk sling stays there while the skin slips by!

August 19. We watched a Monarch "eclose" (what the butterfly folks call the magical transformation from chrysalis to butterfly). Here's the longer version, about 8-1/2 minutes long even though I sped up the last segment. The busting out part is done by the 1-1/2 minute mark.

And here she is, ready to fly.

 

August 16. Last song from Summer Knights' recent show.

No comments:

Post a Comment