Sunday, March 18, 2018

Yairi_YW-1

Thank you for reading/watching/bidding!

Bob Weir model WY-1 
Alvarez Yairi 

Listing expires March 25 Sunday, 6:57PM (Eastern I think)
 That's today. Winning bidder: hold off on payment until tomorrow when I get actual ship price along with destination.

Measured string spacing at bridge: 54mm (2.129" or about 2-1/8")
Measured width of fingerboard at nut: ~42.5mm (1.676")
Solid Cedar Top - Electric-Acoustic
Guitar alone weighs 4.6 lb
Has been kept in a smoke-free environment

Notes:
Selling for less than what I paid, let my need for quick sale be your gain!
Listing says $20 shipping which is unrealistic. 
My text states buyer pays actual cost

Q: "Hello, wondering about photo 9; is that a hole that goes clear through top?"
A: No, these are surface dings or blemishes. I caught the reflected light to make sure you could see them. It's just another view of the lower bout visible in the lower right of the first picture.


Q: Is there much fret wear?

A: I'll take some more pictures tonight to ease your mind about fret wear, I never noticed any but will look again. 
Update: Yes there is some visible fret wear, but IMHO it's minimal, not enough to affect playing. My Gibson got way worse than this before I decided to have it worked on.
It was hard to photograph but I tried:


Q: Is neck straight?
A: Not sure how to quantify neck straightness, have you ever seen a picture that was able to prove that? But I'll look and get back to you. 

Update: No, the truss rod is adjusted for some relief as is commonly done. This was even harder to photograph. I am not equipped to try to measure the string-to-fret distance at the moment, but it's easy to play (IMHO, apart from string spacing not fitting my fat fingers).



Next day with natural light, some longer exposures for better depth of field. The 2017 nickel (about .073" thick) fits the low E string at the 19th fret and the high E string at the 7th fret. Easy action, I'm not a hard strummer.






Q: Has this ever been repaired?
A: I am not aware of any repair, other than I once had a luthier remove the nut because I had a crazy idea of trying to change the string spacing. I never followed through, just put the nut back on. Today I found the original listing (I bought it in '07) where the seller claims it is (was) "all orig".

UPDATE 3/23/18: I put a new battery in and the connector broke! So I just replaced that.

Q: How is the intonation and does it stay in tune?
A:  Maybe I can make a recording showing the intonation (but not today). It's been a while since I played this guitar regularly but I certainly don't recall any problems like that. My experience is that cedar top guitars in general hold their tuning noticeably better than spruce top guitars. It's a quality guitar, I don't think you'll have any problems. 
Update: to my ear the 12th fret harmonics match the fretted pitch perfectly. Not that I'm claiming to have perfect ears, but it's better than my old Gibson for sure. 
UPDATE 3/23/18: I made a little recording, FWIW.  
 The left channel is the direct out with the sliders level center, the right channel is the Zoom H4n built in microphone about a foot and a half away from the guitar. I thought that Wilbury's riff might be good to demo intonation (I played it slow in hopes of doing that) but maybe with my bad playing I'm shooting self in foot. Whatever. Like I said, fat fingers, need wider neck than this. (It's a poor workman who blames his tools.) 
Dang - somehow I screwed that up. Here's a new recording: https://youtu.be/0_nfghMY6Ao





I believe this soundhole thing is like this D'Addario Planet Waves O-Port






I had question about the above photo (I believe): 
"Hello, wondering about photo 9; is that a hole that goes clear through top?"  
The answer is: No, these are surface dings or blemishes. I caught the reflected light to make sure you could see them.




I thought I didn't know the combination. Silly me. It is what it is (and is evident) or it wouldn't open!



Turns out I bought this guitar in '07 (I found the old listing which you can see here). The seller made a big deal about it being formerly owned/played by someone I'd never heard of. It pleased me to see those lower bout dings in the old pictures. Wasn't me put them there!

No comments:

Post a Comment